Techy vs. Tacky: Camping Gadgets
— This text was originally posted on the VoxOx Blog on June 29, 2012. —
Like ice cream and sun tans, camping is a summertime staple. As a kid you were probably stoked to get out the tent and leave your Nintendo and Walkman behind in exchange for a lumpy sleeping bag and mysterious night crawlers, but with today’s technology the meaning of camping has changed a little bit and iPods, iPhones and other gadgets are normal campsite companions.
A day in the woods can go from enjoying the great outdoors to dreading the great outdoors pretty quickly if we’re away from our routine for too long. So, for those of us who like to be one with nature, but also need the comforts of home at the campsite, there’s probably a gadget for that, but how techy is too techy for a day in the woods?
Take a look at this summer’s all new camping gadgets and decide if they’re techy or just plain tacky!
1. BioLite CampStove: Not all of us are Boy Scouts by nature and might need a little help from the the tech gods when it comes to cooking up a dinner in the woods, so it’s BioLite CampStove to the rescue. Not only is it a safe, clean and easy option if a traditional campfire just isn’t your scene, it also comes with an incredible perk – it collects escaping heat and converts it to electricity that can be used to charge your iPhone or iPod so you’re never without your favorite apps!
2. iBottle Opener: This is a new kind of multi-purpose tool. It doesn’t have a blade for gutting fish or a fold-out pair of pliers, but it can protect your iPhone from gentle damage and pop the top of an ice-cold brew. Oh, and did we mention you can customize your case with a company logo or favorite college sports team?
3. Otterbox Defender Series iPhone Case: If the iBottle opener wasn’t hardcore enough for your camping style, this case should do the trick… it isn’t called the Defender for nothing! The Otterbox Defender Series provides heavy duty protection from even the worst environments. With triple-layer protection from dust, drops, water and anything else you may encounter on your next camping trip, you’re sure to head home with at least your phone fully intact!
4. UMI USHI Solar Charging System: This charging dock can suction to your car window or be placed in direct sunlight to charge smartphones, tablets, gaming consoles or anything else you can plug into a USB cord. Use the light of day to fuel your gadgets — it will come in handy for looking up your favorite campfire sing-a-long lyrics!
5. MiFi Dongle: This is more than a mobile hotspot, the Mifi dongle is an Internet addicts dream! With just the click of a button you can send a wifi signal out for a 3 mile radius. Beware, campers in the area may offer up gifts of thanks in the form of hot cocoa and smores.
Whether you’re a firm believer in traditional camping or a techy on the go, there’s no denying gadgets are making their way into the woods! Do you own any of these or other fancy camping gadgets? Would you take these on your next outing or is technology best left at home?
5 Must-Have Summertime Gadgets
— This text was originally posted on the VoxOx Blog on June 8, 2012. —
With the arrival of summer comes backyard BBQs, trips to the lake and days spent enjoying the great outdoors. Back in the day, a Walkman and a few speakers may have impressed your friends on these outings, but this is 2012 — so with a little help from Mashable, we tracked down the hottest gadgets to help you make the most of your days in the sun.
No matter what type of activity you’re into — work, play or maybe a little bit of both, we’ve got something here for you. Check out these must-have goodies:1. Make an Office Out of Any Room!
All work and no play? Not on our watch! We believe that working shouldn’t slow down your sun-seeking travels, so here’s a stylish and compact tool that lets you make an office out of any room. If you have a Bluetooth-enabled laptop or phone you can hook up to the Jawbone Jambox for wireless, portable audio and speakerphone calls.2. Project Movies, Video Games, etc. from Your Smartphone or Tablet
Who needs a cramped theater and overpriced popcorn when you’ve got movies streaming in your backyard? The WowWee Cinamin Slice Pico Projector hooks up to your smartphone, computer or tablet and projects movies, video games and photos onto your walls, ceilings or even the side of your house!3. Blast Tunes Straight from Your Phone
Eton Rukus Solar is a wireless boombox that plays tunes straight from your phone. Since it runs off the power of the sun, as long as you can get a tan, you can rock out. Adios, batteries. Hello, Dougie!
4. Access Your Favorite Fitness Apps From Your Watch!
This watch is still in production, but that hasn’t stopped smartphone users (the kind who love to bike, run, swim and basically sweat) from sending it to back order! The Pebble Watch is the first watch to sync with iPhone and Android devices, allowing access to fitness apps — making the perfect outdoor accessory for any physically active techy who doesn’t want to risk ruining their smartphone during a workout!5. Stay Connected While on the Go with VoxOx Call for iPhone
So how do you stay in touch when you’re on the go this summer? VoxOx of course! With VoxOx Call on your iPhone you can call, text and even fax for super cheap. Forward your work number to your VoxOx account and you could make your next work-from-home-day a day at the beach without anyone being the wiser!
There you have it folks, a list of the most-desired gadgets for summer 2012. Do you already own one of these fancy gadgets or are you do you have another tech must-have in mind?